Tips for Nutrition and Oral Health
Proper nutrition plays a very important role in ensuring that you lead a healthy lifestyle. An often neglected fact is that a well-balanced diet is also vital for maintaining good oral health. Consuming a large quantity of sugary foods and aerated drinks on a regular basis can affect your dental health leading to infections.
A nutritionally poor diet can lead to several gum diseases and tooth decay. Mid-meal snacking should be avoided as foods that are high in sugar generally contribute to dental cavity as they produce plaque acids that attack the enamel, leading to cavity. Following an imbalanced diet can also lead to inflammation of gums which makes it easier for the bacteria to attack the gum in the long run.
Here are a few tips to ensure good oral health:
- Eat a healthy diet full of macro and micro nutrients to keep your teeth and gums healthy. It is also necessary to keep a check on the quantity and quality of the food that you are consuming.
- Avoid having unhygienic and fried snacks as that will slowly start affecting your teeth instead consider having fruits, soups, salads, yogurt, etc. These health foods will ensure that your teeth stay strong and healthy.
- Reduce consumption of soft drinks and other beverages that contain high amount of sugars and try replacing them with beverages like green tea, warm water or natural fresh juices with no added sugars.
- Don’t forget to include good amount of vitamin C in your diet as it helps in strengthening your teeth. Add strawberries, oranges, lemons, kiwis, broccoli, etc to your diet to ensure that you have enough of vitamin C.
- A frequent dose of milk and milk products combined with pulses, lean chicken, fish, etc is good to make sure you have healthy gums and decay resistant teeth.
- Prefer whole grain foods over processed foods.
- Avoid smoking.
- Drink fluoridated water and use fluoridated toothpaste.
Following the above tips will help you lead a healthy lifestyle and assure oral hygiene. Smile, that’s the best ornament you could ever wear!