Oats – The Wholly Grain
While running the rat race, quite often you end up skipping the most important meal of the day – ‘Breakfast’. At work when you should be in action mode, you end up being highly irritable and fatigued because of lack of essential vitamins in your body. Well, there is an easier, quicker, and highly nutritional recipe for all corporate maze runners – Oats. Oats are whole grains packed with high fiber, lesser calories and various other health benefits, which makes it nothing less than a kryptonite for anybody and everybody trying to lose weight or practice healthy living.
Lets find out why?
1. Weight Loss: One cup of cooked oatmeal contains four grams of fiber, about half insoluble and half soluble. Fiber is not digested by our body, and therefore contains no calories. It acts as a perfect catalyst for weight loss.
2. Digestive System: Insoluble fiber in oats, keeps the digestive system running smoothly, reduces constipation, hemorrhoids, and other digestive problems.
3. Cholesterol, Blood Sugar & Blood Pressure: Soluble fiber in Oats reduces cholesterol and helps control diabetes. Oats are also known to control hypertension and improve blood pressure control.
4. Mineral Mine: Oats are rich in essential minerals like manganese, phosphorus, zinc and selenium. Fortified oats contains more iron, calcium and the B vitamins thiamine, niacin, riboflavin and B-6.
5. Gluten Free: Oats are completely gluten free unlike other grains like wheat, barley and rye.
Now that you have learned about the benefits of Oats,here’s how you can use this wholly grain to achieve your goal and enjoy a healthy living.
1. Make it a regular on your breakfast menu: Breakfast is an important meal, which gives the kick start for the day. Weekday mornings you always are pressed on time, because of work. Oats is the perfect breakfast recipe; quick and easy to make.
Healthy twist: Oats porridge, oats upma, oats idli.
2. Variety is spice of healthy living: Healthy need not be boring. If you are not used to eating oats it may feel a bit chewy in the beginning. Generally people avoid oats due to its bland taste but it can be made with different variations by adding spices to it. Oats are the ideal replacement for people suffering from gluten disorders, which are difficult to diagnose.
Healthy twist: Masala oats, masala oats dosa, oats muthia, oats pancake
3. Add oats to other preparations: If you are bored of eating routine breakfast recipes, you can add oats to your breakfast preparations.
Healthy twist: Add oats to parathas, rotis, oat stuffing in your sandwiches, muffins, oats veggie wraps etc.
So there you go, add oats to your life and start a healthy living routine.